To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #83
From: Dave Topper <topper@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 1996 14:30:40 -0400

Hello,

I am a new and proud owner of a Leica M3 (read NEWBIE).  I am also
a novice photographer.  I've just inherited the camera from my late
grandfather who passed away 11 years ago.  The thing was sitting in
my grandmother's closet for the past several years, and I just recently
figured out how to load it.  Having just graduated from College I take it
as a gift from "beyond the grave."

But that has very little to do with what I want to ask this group.  I took
the camera over to Tamarkin in NYC this past week and was lucky enought to
have Jim Lager himself look it over and give me some incredibly helpful
information.  He basically said that I should use the camera until something
breaks as it's in very good shape and should take awesome pictures.

One small problem which might crop up is the shutter curtain.  At some point
in its rotation, it leaves a gap which might let light in.  I think the curtain
is coming loose from where it joins its other end.  Other folks have experience
with this problem?

I enjoy taking all sorts of pictures.  My favorite being outdoor shots
when I go backcountry camping.  It will be tough hauling this heavy camera
and some equipment on my next trip, but I think it will be worth it.  I usually
take panoramic shots with a tripod (click, turn, click, turn, etc...)  But this
always results in slightly different lightings for each shot.  Now that I have
a camera that can take pictures which can be blown up to a large size w/o grainy
effects, I'll try and do that.

So I'm wondering how I might go about this.  My immediate idea is to save up and
find a 21mm lens.  That's the widest angle lens I can fit on this camera as far
as I know.  I'm wondering what I might pick one up for?

Next, I'm curious to know about the respective credentials for Tamarkin's repair
vs. say Leica in NJ.  Leica NJ told me that I'd have to wait 6 weeks for a lube,
calibration and adjustment.  I'm thinking of perhaps sending it to them when they're
less busy (and when I have more $$$) to get the shutter curtain repaired and some
vulcanite replaced.

Lastly, what are some good books on how to use this camera, I mean more wrt. technique.
I bought the Leica Manual (1961) which seems pretty good, but am curious about what
else is out there.

Thanks all,

DT
--
Dave Topper (me)
Student of:  Life, Computer Music and Art.