To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Fred and Free Speech
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 1996 20:39:51 -0400

Well, I happen to disagree about as strongly as I can disagree with Fred --
his remarks were aggressive, hostile, snobbish, and, frankly, rather stupid.
He has the right to say them but, alas!, they'/re simply wrong.  His posting
was bad enough on its first reading;  on re-reading, its much worse.

I own a load of Leica gear.  I do an occasional professional shoot but its
hardly my bread and butter.   I do not have to justify my possession or use
of Leica or Hassie or Rollie to Fred or to this group or to anyone.  Nor do
I have to justify my photographs.  I hang 'em and, if folks don't like 'em,
they can go elsewhere.

There's no reason to be hateful about all this.  The querent wished to know
the distinctions between the two versions of the 1.4/35 Aspherical
Summiluxes.  What's the beef?  It was an innocent query and Fred's response
was totally out of line.

I can't afford either version and I feel no shame for saying so.  When I
luck into one, I'll buy it.  In the interim, I envy those who can buy it,
and feel sad for those whose sour grapes are so deep that they must condemn
the folks who ask about it.

Of course, Fred should stay with the group -- normally, his postings are
gentle and insightful.  That's what makes this one so harsh and
uncharacteristic.

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!