To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: How to take close-ups with 50mm Summicron
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 20:50:30 -0400

Sounds like you are working with a Dual Range Summicron (One of the best of
the 50mm). You are missing a part. :(  The little small knob-like button to
which you refer is not intended to be pushed by hand. It is depressed when
the auxillary finder "eyes" are slipped onto the lens. (Notice the grooves
on either side of the flat which houses the "button".) When the "eyes" are
in place, they automatically correct the rangefinder and parallax for close
focusing.

These "eyes" are not easy to find without buying a lens also, at least not
here in Michigan. The lens was sold orignally with and without the eyes, so
there are more lenes than eyes available. They are worth the search. Good
luck!

kw

>QUESTION:  How do I focus the 50mm Summicron for distances < 1m.  That's
>where the little metal stopper requires that I pull out the lens then
>release the focusing mechanism by means of the small knob-like botton on
>top of the lens.  My rangefinder does not seem to take this into account
>when I do it ... and is essentially rendered useless for distances < 1m.
>
>Thanks,
>
>DT
>--
>Dave Topper (me)
>Student of:  Life, Computer Music and Art.
>(email responses always preferred)
>http://www.panix.com/~topper

----
Davison Middle School                  preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>