To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica fast ?
From: hartmann@interaccess.com (Nicholas Hartmann)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 12:30:26 -0600

>I dont still possess a Leica M6 and i have some questions about this mythical
>camera :

Olivier:

If you don't NEED an M Leica - i.e. if you have not tried every other
conceivable combination of cameras and lenses, and found them somehow
wanting - then you certainly should not consider spending such a
breathtaking amount of money. As you note, the M6 has no TTL flash
metering, no exposure automation, a very limited selection of lens focal
lengths, parallax problems especially at close distances, and a number of
other drawbacks.

BUT... take it from someone who HAS tried every other conceivable
combination etc.: if you NEED a Leica, there is no substitute. I shoot only
B&W photographs; I never use a flash; I photograph people, often in motion,
often indoors and/or in poor light, and always in unposed situations; I
value the particular optical characteristics of the one lens I use most
often. It has taken me almost five years of experimentation to conclude
that the most effective tool for taking such photographs is an M Leica; and
almost as long to save up, both financially and psychologically, for an M6
to replace my meterless M4.

Along with all the drawbacks you cite, the M Leica also has unique
advantages: it is almost silent; it is mechanically simple and therefore
rugged and durable; it is compact and extremely easy to handle; most
importantly, it can be made to produce results which cannot be duplicated
with other equipment. And lots more.

So don't assume, please, that because an M6 does not meet YOUR needs, it is
therefore useless and/or overpriced. It is the only solution to certain
other needs, and as such worth the price.

-- Nick

Nicholas Hartmann                               hartmann@interaccess.com
P.O. Box 1005                                             (708) 524-1191
Oak Park, IL  60304  USA                              fax (708) 524-1355

Technical and scientific translator:  German, French, Italian -> English

Replies: Reply from Reinhard Atzbach <r.atzbach@wiesbaden.netsurf.de> (minilux?)