To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us.I.just.purchased.a.used.Chromega.color.head.I.took.the.unit.apart
Subject: Chromega color head
From: jbuf@ix.netcom.com (John Irvin Buford)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 18:10:44 -0700

to clean it up and try to understand just how this works.  When I got
it apart I realized just how small the lamp compartment was, and
thought that it must get very hot during long exposures.  My concern is
that with the temperature build-up (due to long exposures) wouldn't
this shorten the life of the color filters and possibly the bulb.  When
I had the cover off of the power supply I realzed how easy it would to
re-wire the unit so that the fan could be controlled from a seperate
switch, therefore allowing to run constantly.  Or, I could build a
timer circuit that would allow the fan to run for five minutes after
the bulb had been extinguished.

My question is twofold:

    1. Am I correct in my assumption that the heat build-up will
shorten the life of my filters and bulb?

    2. Because some lamps are designed to function better when allowed
to cool naturally, would I damage the lamp by force cooling.

Thanks for any insight in to this matter.

John N3BVH