To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Mirror vibration/hand shake
From: jvr@inescn.pt (Joao Ranito)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 17:26:05 +0100 (WET DST)

>	Hey fellow LUGers:
>
>	I am curious to know whether other Leica users have found a
>significant difference between shooting hand-held with their Ms and
>with their Rs at speeds in the 1/8 sec - 1/60 second range (and higher

Unfortunately, no R's! But I can tell a difference between shots with the M3
and Nikon FM2 (which, BTW, does not shake very much: I used a Pentax ME
Super and THAT is mirror shake!): 1 to 2 stops. I am NOT able to handhold
the FM2/50mm at 1/15 and get good results and I can do it with the M3/50mm.
But I guess that it is not only mirror shake: the shutter release is softer
in the M3 and the M3 is heavier. All this helps for me.

BTW, I have a question. The 1/f rule doesn't quite work for me: I tend to
need higher RELATIVE speed for longer lenses (1/250 for 300mm on the FM2)
than for shorter lenses (1/15 for 28mm is easy with the FM2). How do other
feel about this? I know it has nothing to do with Leica, just curiosity...

>with longer lenses)?  I generally find that my M-3 produces much sharper
>images at these speeds than my Contax 159, and I tend to attribute the
>difference to mirror vibration more than anything else - and the Contaxes
>as supposed to have good mirror damping!  Is there any way of
>compensating for mirror vibration - other than by avoiding it with a
>tripod and mirror pre-release or by using my M-3?  Could there be another
>problem that I am overlooking?
>
>	I would be curious to hear about the experiences of others.
>
>Gary Toop

Joao
Joao Vasco Ranito
Medidata, SA
Portugal
e-mail: medidata1@ip.pt
my e-mail: jvr@inescn.pt

Murphy's law of combat:
  "If your enemy is within firing range, so are you."