To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 50mm Elmar
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 96 10:44 PDT

At 09:09 AM 13/06/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks for some very help comments.
>
>Bob, the camera was described to me when I got it in the 1960s from a
>photographer friend in DC who was dying and wanted to liquidate his gear
>so his wife wouldn t have to. He said he thought it was a 1936 or 1937
>model, Leica Standard. It is #296703.  There is the small O on the lens
>flange. What does that O mean?
>
>It still works just fine at all speeds and was obviously always carried
>in its leather case, which still looks rather good.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Fred Ward

Hi Fred!

Again, according to the "Leica Pocket Book"  (by Hove Photo - an inexpensive
cornucopia of Leica info)  Serial Number was a Leica Standard made in 1938.
For interest, production that year was 795 in black paint, and 2,850 in chrome.

Leica's made in 1930 and early 1931 were not standardised for the lens mount
to film plane distance, and lenses that matched a given camera body were
marked (usually scratched inside the lens barrel, but sometimes engraved)
with the last three digits of the camera body.

Starting in 1931, the lens mount to film plane distance was fixed at 28.8mm.
and cameras that met that standard had the 'O' engraved at the top of the
lens mount. Thus, your camera will fit all "standard" screw mount lenses.

Hope this helps.  Enjoy!

David Young: youngs@IslandNet.com