To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Info on old Leica
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 96 10:53 PDT

At 08:55 AM 13/06/96 PDT, you wrote:

>I am looking for information on an old Leica 35mm rangefinder
>camera I have.  I believe it is one of the III series from the
>1930's vintage but I am looking for the exact model and a more
>precise manufacture date.  Also I am curious as to the
>approximate value of it.
>
>Serial # 199,845
>F/3.5 Elmar lens
>
>Thank you for any help
>
>Dennis Blackburn

Hi Dennis!

Your camera is a Leica IIIa, made in 1936.  Top shutter speed should be
1/1000th, and the 5cm, f3.5 Leitz Elmar was the supplied standard lens.

For interest, 92,687 were made between 1935 and 1948 (800 of these were
produced in a black paint finish in 1935. All others were chrome.)

Others will have to help you on value, I'm sorry.

Hope this helps!
David Young: youngs@IslandNet.com