To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica IIIf questions
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 12:07:45 -0400

The red dial IIIf has a lighter (and therefore faster) shutter mechanism
resulting in a higher "X" flash synch speed of 1/50 as opposed to 1/30 in
black dial version. This also causes the synch dial settings to be
different for the various types of flash.

You must trim the leader on your film. It will not load properly and my jam
the shutter if you do not. Simply extend the short leader that comes on the
film by cutting it longer. The cut should be back to even with the 24th
sprocket hole. There are templates available that make the job smoother,
but they are not necessary.

Cheers!

kw

>Hello,
> Please excuse the newbie questions but....
>
>What is the difference between red dial and black dial IIIf's
>and why is the red dial more expensive. Does it make a real
>difference in use or is it a 'collectors' thing ?
>
>Also the books all talk about film leader preperation before
>people get away with?
>
>Thanks.
>--
>John Cooper