To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Mamiya M7 vs Leica M6
From: jbuf@ix.netcom.com (John Irvin Buford)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 18:39:20 -0700

You wrote: ?
<SNIP>
>Also, I have used various MF cameras in the past and been disappointed
by lens quality at large apertures - some, including a Mamiya C330 I
once owned, lose illumination in the corners; others are just unsharp.
Perhaps it's just too large a film area to cover without fall-off.
Seems to me, if you want the ultimate in grain-free results 120 will
always have the edge but if you prefer sharpness, 35mm may still be
tops. Myself, I like a nice tight grain structure, provided the image
is crisp and the tonality is right.

    If you are looking for high quality in medium format.  Then I would
have to recommend Hassleblad (the T* star lenses) and the Rolleiflex.
I own the 40mm hassy lenses, and I had a job to shoot an interior of a
building.  I shot a few frames wide open just to see how it would
preform on 100 asa ektachrome.  Examing the slides on a light table
with a 10X loupe.   I one thing that I immediately noticed was that
there no light fall off in the corners, extremely even illumination.
Try it you may like it.

John N3BVH