To: "Leica Users Group" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: all this fuss
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@apple.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 96 04:25:50 -0700

So I looked in on the Nikon website after all the posts yesterday
about the new F5. Yow. An impressive collection of technology. Sadly,
it also points out that I will likely never again be interested in a
"professional" class camera again.

I mean, I cannot imagine pulling out a monster like that and trying to
take a picture of my niece at her 2 year birthday party. It would
scare the living heck out of the kids in the room. Not to mention
their parents.

There are just too many systems, too many controls, too much stuff
for me to be interested in something like that. To consider taking
out a device like that to capture the quiet of a mist over a lake
in the morning seems somehow impossible. All those electrons whizzing
about in there are disturbing...

Ah, better for me the unobtrusive, slow, ancient, costly M or any of
my several mini 35s. Speaking of which, I found a wonderful pocket
tripod suitable for my Leica Minizoom, Nikon 35Ti and Rollei 35S the
other day. Might even handle the M4-P or a Nikon FM in a pinch.

It's called the "Q-Pod" and is from Giottos. Telescoping legs and a
friction/swivel head, it folds and fits in a pouch that's about
5"x1.25"x0.5" in size. It's quite sturdy for the size and barely
weighs more than my wallet, it will be quite handy to keep with me all
the time to make the 35Ti and Minizoom's time exposure and self timers
useful.

For locals, I found it at Aperture in Los Altos, CA for $25. I've
taken a couple of shots with it now and it works well.

Godfrey