To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: film choice: durability
From: Fred Ward <fward@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 1996 11:41:17 -0500

for Eric:

I would be very interested in knowing the source of your comment that
CDs are only lasting 20 years. That is not my understanding. I burn a CD
after every new gem book, putting all the final edited image files on
there as well at the PageMaker 6 layout and text. That gives me
additional security against physical loss, magnetism problems, etc., and
just also makes another copy to file somewhere.

Everything I read says CDs last a very long time.... minimum 50 years
and perhaps more than a century. There is a genuine question at the
moment as to which type lasts longer.... one that is pressed from a
master like all commercial products are, or one that is individually
burned on a CDR machine producing one copy only.

SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN did a long piece last year on CDs and other storage
media for our digital present and future and as I recall it suggested
that the century mark was probably right for CDs. I have never seen
anything even approaching such a short time as the 20 years you
mentioned. I hope for other input from others on this.

Fred Ward