To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: film choice: durability
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 1996 10:51:25 -0700

At 11:27 AM 7/4/96 -0600, you wrote:
>i wish to warn all of those cheering various forms of the E-6 color
>process, that the transparencies do not last. thirty years is about
>it.
>
>my agfachromes from the late 40s and early 50s are gone. mt
>ektachromes from the late 50s through about '65 are clearly
>fading.

All films were very poor back in the 50s and 60s except Kodachrome. (I did a
reserach paper on the technology of photojournalism when I was in grad
school). I believe someone back then said jokingly you could watch
Anscochrome fade as you looked at it.

Today's modern E-6 films are much more archival than the past. The current
estimates I've seen are that they will last at least 50 years with the
proper care with no fading, and that it will be much longer before they
start to fade significantly. So who among us really cares if you can make
prints from your slides 50+ years from now. It's not that big a deal. And
for those truly worth preserving, some day there will probably be a truly
archival digital medium to store pictures with. Right now CDs are not the
answer. They dont' even last 20 years from what I've heard.

So shoot whatever turns your crank. And remember, Kodachome stores better
than E-6, but E-6 lasts much better in constant projection than Kodachrome.
They stand up to the light much better. So decide what you want to do, and
pick your film accordingly.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier

Replies: Reply from Fred Ward <fward@erols.com> (Re: film choice: durability)