To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica and APS
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 12:34:53 -0400

I'm not a business expert but I have some thoughts on this matter.

First- Let's not assume that old technology equals bad and new technology
equals good. I have been a Leica shooter for about 15 years, but
occasionaly shoot something with "modern" technology. My wife's purse
camera is a Contax TVS which I have been known to borrow now and then. One
of the things I dislke about using it, as opposed to shooting one of my
Leicas is in failure analysis. When a shot comes out bad with my Leica I
can look at and figure out what I did wrong, and try not to repeat it. When
a shot comes out bad with the Contax, it is difficult to tell if I failed,
or the camera did.

Part of the reason Leica continues to sell cameras, IMHO, is that Leicas
have proved to be reliable under extreme conditions for long periods of
time. My Leica IIIa, build in 1937 is still going strong. If my 1960 M2
should fail, Leica will fix it for me.

The M6, which you mentioned, survives because, as you said, it is unique.
It is small, quiet, and unobtrusive. Coupled with a 35 Summicron, it fits
in a medium size pocket or under a jacket without being noticable or a
burden. It will also accommodate nearly any Leica rangefinder lens made
from the 30s to the present. I like to use mine with a 28mm Summaron screw
mount that was built in the late 50, This lens is so small, it hardly
sticks out in front of the camera at all!

Let's also remember that rangefinders do have several advantages over SLRs
in the area of viewfinding, especially in focal lengths up to about 90mm.
(Example-my wife and I recently attended an old car show. She was shooting
her R-E and I my M6. Several of her chromes were spoiled by someone
stepping into the frame as she pressed the shutter button. This did not
happen to me with my M6 because I could see MORE in the viewfinder than the
picture included. I could see anyone aobut to intrude into the picture
area.)

Leica gear also holds its value very well, better than any other brand I've
owned. Add to this the excellence of the lenes and you have have plenty of
justification for the existance of the Leica Rangefinder.

I have less experience with the R cameras. My wife has owned one for about
6 months now and I find it to be nice to work with.

As far as sturdiness goes-it is my guess that the Leica is in general a
much better build camera than any other brand. This is also the opinion of
my wife, who sold professional camera gear for many years.

What will Leica do if APS is to become popular and basically eliminate the
35 MM camera?  I can't predict Leica's future plan but I do have an the
feeling that APS is not a long term threat. Remember 828, 126, 110, 127,
half-frame and 620? These were all going to become THE format for
photography. Some serious camera gear was made for all of these formats. I
suspect that many APS cameras will be made and sold. I also suspect that
they will eventually become orphans like the Bantam Special, Medalist, etc.
Remember the 35mm format has survived for many years.

>I am an amateur photographer and new to the the Leica discussion group.
>I would like to know how Leica has been able to stay in business
>manufacturing cameras that are old technology and market them at prices
>far greater than the japanese camera makers who are using state of the art
>technology.  The M6, for example, is probably the only rangefinder of its
>type made today.  Several companies made rangefinder cameras approx. thirty
>years ago but abandoned them in search of newer technology.  All of the
>major camera companies have been making autofocus SLR's for years.  Manual
>SLR's are getting hard to come by.  Leice, to my knowledge, has still not
>made and autofucus SLR camera.
>
>My understanding is that Leica puts the emphasis on the qualilty of their
>lenses and the sturdiness of their cameras.  Is a Leica camera really that
>much better than a Nikon or is it just that they have a small following
>of traditional camera lovers?  What will Leica do if APS is to become
>popular and basically eliminate the 35 MM camera.  Are they planning to
>get into this market or will they stay with their traditional cameras??
>

>Bill

----
Davison Middle School                  preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
600 Dayton, Davison, MI 48423