To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Summitar shade
From: Stanley E Yoder <syoder+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 07:06:58 -0400 (EDT)

    Having only recently joined the Leica fratority via a nice IIIf
bd/Summitar, I noticed on my first roll of E6 that the shade vignettes.
    This is not the folding barndoor (which I also have). It is a
push-on, round, cylindrical (not conical), 1" deep, same diameter as the
Summitar overall, black (segmented push-on ring chrome), and engraved
"Leica-Summitar".
    I assume it is Leitz in origin. If so, what puzzles me is that that
meticulous, fastidious firm would have marketed a shade that vignettes
on the lens it was designed for.
    But then, maybe my assumption is in error.

    Anybody comment on this earth-shattering problem?!

Stan Yoder
Pittsburgh

P.S. Of course, I could have it ground down maybe an eighth of an inch.