To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Summitar shade
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 09:49:38 -0400

I think you have an after market shade. It does not match the description
of any Leica shade that I'm aware of. (I'm no expert). I don know that
several companies made after market accessories for Leica. It is likely
that any shade made by Leica for a specific lens likke the Summitar would
only say Summitar without the Leica reference.

At any rate, the barndoor shade, although a bit unwieldly, is very
effective. The shade shape you describe sounds better designed for a 100mm
or longer lens.

Cheers!

kw

>    Having only recently joined the Leica fratority via a nice IIIf
>bd/Summitar, I noticed on my first roll of E6 that the shade vignettes.
>    This is not the folding barndoor (which I also have). It is a
>push-on, round, cylindrical (not conical), 1" deep, same diameter as the
>Summitar overall, black (segmented push-on ring chrome), and engraved
>"Leica-Summitar".
>    I assume it is Leitz in origin. If so, what puzzles me is that that
>meticulous, fastidious firm would have marketed a shade that vignettes
>on the lens it was designed for.
>    But then, maybe my assumption is in error.
>
>    Anybody comment on this earth-shattering problem?!
>
>Stan Yoder
>Pittsburgh
>
>P.S. Of course, I could have it ground down maybe an eighth of an inch.

----
Davison Middle School                  preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
600 Dayton, Davison, MI 48423
<kwilcox@genesee.freenet.org>