To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
From: jbuf@ix.netcom.com (John Irvin Buford)
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 22:50:23 -0700

You wrote:

>FIrst let me sat that I am a Leicaphile, or I wouldn't be here.  I
understand and agree that the quality we get with Leica is going to
cost more.... it always has and always will.  What I am questioning
(and I believe the point of Moss's editorial) is that six and a half
grand is an awful lot for a 70-200 zoom lens, not matter how good it is
or what it does, and there are other lenses on the market that are just
about as good for a fraction of the price. (snip)

AS you say there are just about as good!!!

> For any business to survive (and Leica, just like any other
enterprise is a business), it must have economic viability.  (snip)

Leica's Main business is not cameras, so they do not have to depend on
economic viability of the Photographis devision to stay in the black.

>  He was questioning whether such a pricey toy would have economic
viability, in view of the fact that competitors have similar products
at a fraction of the cost. (SNIP)

Whenever anyone tries to offer this argument to the folks at Solms
their retort is then why is it that we can not make the equipment fast
enough.  The 180 F2.0 is just not available , I ahve been told that
there is a year waitnig list for this beast of a lens.
> BTW, the 80-200 Nikkor is not "junk" or "cheap"....it is a fine
performer.  (snip)

I happen to disagree with you about this lens.  I used one of these for
a long weekend and went running and scream8ing back to my R4 and Leica
lenses.

>On the other side of the argument, I will say in Leica's defense that
(1) much of the price increases in the US market in the past few years
are in part due to the sliding value of the US dollar against the
German D-mark and (2) their design philosphy eschews any compromise of
performace in favor of the mass market appeal.  This second reason is,
of course, what draws us true believers to their court.  However,
again, ultimately, they have to stay in business to survive, and to
survive, they have to sell, and the consumer has to be able to afford
what they sell.......you can figure out the rest.

>JayPax@aol.com

IMHO The problem with your argument is that it is based on a false
premise.  Leica Photographic division AFAIK has always operated at very
meager profits.  Every thing that they make is snapped by the
consumers.  Whenever a new lens comes out no matter what it costs,
people get on the waiting list as soon as it is announced.  Look at the
M6J, these were $6500.00 each Dealer cost.  Those things were gone so
fast that they were almost legendary.  I wish I understood where all
this talk about Leica not being able to sell product originated.

John N3BVH