To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 09:10:40 -0400 (EDT)

I am a long-time Leica user (both M and R), but have been lurking around
here for only a little while.  It has been interesting to see talk about the
cameras as photographic tools, rather than just collector's items--one
well-known dealer told me, in a burst of hyperbole, that he wasn't sure most
of his customers made photographs in a serious way!

In the spirit of photographers rather than collectors, though, we have to be
honest.  Leica does sell very little product--back when the lead cameras
were the M4P and the R4, a person at Leitz USA who knew told me that they
sold about 1000 M's and 4000 R's here per year (ever wonder why they left
those luxurious quarters at Rockleigh?).  Compare those numbers with the US
sales of, say, Canon EOS-1n's and you'll see there's a problem.  Of course
things are better in Europe, but total sales are still a drop in the bucket
compared to top-line Canon and Nikon.   I am pleased that Leica is at last
offering a fuller pro-oriented line in the R-series, but it has taken a long
time to get there, mostly because of very limited resources.

AND--despite some others' comments--it does matter that the reflexes are way
behind the times--e.g., since they have old fashioned shutters that won't
synch fast enough no pro who does weddings or outdoor groups will even look
at the camera.  It does matter that Leica won't seriously look at an
up-to-date M camera (aperture preferred automation, spot and averaging
metering, and a reasonable film loading system would be easy)--look at the
success of the Contax G1.  Again, my guess is that limited resources are
partly to blame.

The fact that something or other is hard to get for a while doesn't prove
that sales are great--it only reflects a ratio between supply and demand.
How many M6 J's were made?

I think we all love Leicas because of the wonderful quality feel of the
product--using Leicas is a special experience.  I, at least, am rooting for
them to survive and prosper.  I just hope that they--and we--can get a
little beyond the Leica Legend and look at the realities.
Charles E. Love, Jr.
517 Warren Place
Ithaca, New York
14850