To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Looking for an M-4P and Summicron.
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 11:41:59 -0400 (EDT)

At 11:44 PM 7/16/96 -0400, you wrote:
>At 08:32 PM 7/16/96 -0400, Charles E. Love, Jr. wrote:
>
>>Claude--The old 35 Summilux (very recently discontinued) was, a friend at
>>Leitz tech services told me, by far the poorest of the current M lenses.
>>The design is so old, he said, that it was the last of their lenses designed
>>without the help of a computer!  Optically, it remained the same from the
>>time it was introduced in 1961!  (See Rogliatti for confirmation.)
>
>Well, Leitz designed all Wetzlar-produced lenses from 1949 onwards by
>computer, so I seriously suspect your friend hadn't a clue as to what was
>going on -- see Rogliatti, as you snippily advise, for confirmation.
>
>Second, instead of passing on some stale hearsay -- have you ever USED one
>of these?  They work and, as Roger Hicks smuggly points out, at f/1.4 they
>blow the doors of the f/2 Summicron.
>
>In any event, if you like the Summicron, try the FIRST generation lens, the
>eight-element jobby.  Quite possibly you'll not be happy with the current
>version thereafter.
>
>Marc
>
>msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
>Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

Marc--Sorry I upset you.  This is, after all, for many of us, just talk
about our hobbies :)   Yes, I owned two 35 Summiluxes--an early chrome one
and a later one, and both performed as has been described--flarey, none too
sharp at large apertures.  My photographer brother bought a used one, and
traded it in almost immediately--same problems.

Of course, it's always "horses for courses,"  as Eric appears to be pointing
out.  I used to use a IIIg with some of the last screwmount lenses, and the
photos I took had a "look" that was quite different from that produced by
current M lenses.  That look was certainly appealing.  But the current
standard for measuring lens quality seems to go beyond sharpness to include
contrast and color saturation, as well as low flare.

BTW, what's your motto after your name on your signature?  Welsh?  Gaelic?
Charles E. Love, Jr.
517 Warren Place
Ithaca, New York
14850