To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Looking for an M-4P and Summicron.
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 00:58:34 -0400

Dear Mr Love

Well, I did get a tad snippy in my response last evening (maybe I shouldn't
do E-Mail late at night!) but the long and the short is that it becomes a
bit tiresome to hear old tales beaten about which beggar the imagination --
and anyone who worked for Leitz would, I suspect, know that the 1.4/35
Summilux was, in large part, computer-designed.

I find your three-out-of-three results most interesting -- what is the s/n
on these lenses?  were they shot with hoods on and, if so, which ones?  What
film was used?  and so forth -- something is most screwy here.  I don't
doubt the reality of your experience, but I find the results quite baffling.

I own a mid-production 1.4/35 and find it superb -- no flare whatsoever,
even when I was shooting snow fields at high noon into the sun on slide
film.  I always use the 12504 hood and a Leitz Serie VII UVa filter.  Yes,
at 1.4 it IS a bit softer than any of the several 35mm Summicrons I've owned
were at f/2.0 -- but the additional stop is one I'll cheerfully pay for in
slightly reduced edge sharpness.

My signature block is Scots Gaelic, 'never did a man die without someone
being grateful'.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!