To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 00:32:26 -0600

Bill,

I did not want to offend a fellow Coloradan. I just could not resist.

Personally, I like the older European designs. This may be cultural. I was
born in Europe and my father was a very fine mechanical engineer who
appreciated rational mechanical and optical designs. Therefore, I also
appreciate the "feel" and "individuality" of things built by craftsmen.

My problem is that craftsmanship is dying, everywhere, including Japan,
Europe, and America. Kids today probably spend more time playing with
computers than fixing old cars, playing in the darkroom, tinkering, building
Ham radios, etc. I don't like this trend. I like to work with my hands and
my mind, and not just with my fingers and my mind.

In a sense, I went back to photography with a Leica, because it affords me
the controls that I do not have with the new AF/zoom/etc. cameras. True, the
many of the new cameras have "manual" modes, but they are not really meant
to operate in those modes.

I don't believe in generalizations. During my trips to Japan, I met people
of all backgrounds. There is as much diversity there as in Europe and
America. This is why Japanese buy Leicas too, and Harleys. Recently, a
member of our group wrote that he could only see plastic cameras in Wetzlar.
Yet, I know several Germans who appreciate and use Leicas. Incidentally,
they are more expensive in Germany than in the US and Japan.

Let's face it. We use Leicas by choice. My problem with the company is that
they do not seem to be making the revolutionary moves that I would expect
from them. However, technologies do peak out. The performance of a
propeller-driven aircraft peaked out in 1945. The P-51s are Bearcats are
still around and there are people who swear by them and fly them. Leicas are
still around and there are people who swear by them and use or collect them.

At least Leica is still around. Kyocera is a fine company in its own right
and should not be using the Contax logo.

Personally, I am becoming a fan of the Leica stuff built between 1955 and
1975. It seems to have the right combination of "feel", price, and optical
performance.

Best regards,

Chris