To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: computer-designed lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 16:45:06 -0400

Roger

This is getting fairly silly.  Rogliatti's text was simply edited to delete
one phrase from the sentence in question, I suspect  for space reasons -- it
costs money to print books!  Please note how closely the remainder of the
sentence tracks.

I was incorrect on 1949;  the date is 1951, hardly a major gaffe and
certainly not a major slip in time.  The original poster was proposing that
the 1961 1.4/35 Summilux-M was not designed with the aid of computers;  I
think this is not true.

I have some private correspondence from Rogliatti which I'll try to dig out
(my stepdaughter has returned from college and is job-searching;  in the
interim, her possessions are everywhere and it is a true fight to get to the
file cabinet containing my notes from the Leica Lens books I have in press).
I believe he and I discussed this at one point or the other, as well.

Keller mentions the use of computers in the second part (I believe) of his
History of the 35mm Camera, printed first in Viewfinder some years ago and
later redone in book form.  Emil's a great guy -- he was a Leica employee
who emigrated to the US before the War, got a job with Leitz NY, then ended
up in the Army -- and was put in charge of the Leitz plant when we captured
it!  His account is most fascinating.

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!