To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 50mm F:2 Summicron-DR (with eyes) ... Opinions?
From: captyng@vtx.ch (Gerard Captijn)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 20:31:13 +0200

>Has anyone had experience with the 50mm F:2 Summicron-DR (with eyes)?
>
>I am seeking opinions, either positive or negative, regarding the lens.
>A month or so ago there was some discussion regarding the lens, however
>it appeared to center on what the creature should be called, not how
>well it performs and the uses to which it might be put.
>
>In any event, I am considering it. Prices (used) appear to be in the
>$450-$500 range for a unit advertised with a whole bunch of plus marks.
>"Mint" would obviously be better, however an older lense and "Mint"
>often do not go together!
>
>The thoughts, and experiences, of those on the Leica List would be
>greatly appreciated.
>
>This would be a "second" 50mm lense. In the 50mm range I use a 50mm
>F:1.4 Summilux ... and am happy with it.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Glenn
>
>Glenn Thrall
>gthrall@ix.netcom.com

The close range 50mm f2 Summicron has very high resolving power (if I
remember well close to 200, which is why they were used in the Voyager
spacecraft) but deliver this high linepair/mm number at a low contrast
level. Images made by a recent Summicron (somewhat lower resolution but with
much higher contast) definitely come out nicer because of superb micro
contrast. This of course is a matter of opinion: certain people enjoy
vaseline dream pictures.

In my opinion, nothing beats a slightly underexposed (through a recent high
contrast M-lens), perfectly sharp Kodachrome slide, projected 1.50/2.00
meter wide with a good slide projector on a white plastic non-lenticular
screen, in perfect darkness (I exclude here off-course comparison with
projected  images made with bulky gear like 6x7 Mamiya's and Götschmann
projectors and similar equipment).

Gerard Captijn,
Geneva, Switzerland.
INTERNET PROVIDER: GROUPE VTX