To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Difference between 2 and 3 lug R lenses.
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 16:12:04 -0700

At 09:57 AM 7/20/96 -0700, you wrote:

>What indeed is the difference between a manual R3 and subsequent R
>(manual) models?

The R3 is a fine camear. It has selective metering with memory, aperture
preferred, and the selector for spot and averaging is independent, so you
could use averaging with manual, not possible with subsequent R cameras.

It's a bit bigger. It has to have a MOT in the name if it takes the 2 fps
winder. No motor drive (faster). Very smooth shutter release, very quiet
camera. Meter power switch on the back top right panel. I liked the one I
had. Mint are hard to find nowadays, I'm sure. I'd say I'd pay up to $300
for one Mint if I wanted one today.

>What should one look for? Which lenses will the R3 take?
>
>I suppose more than one inquiring mind would like to know. My
>experience is with "Ms" and none whatsoever with "Rs."
>
>I have seen some R3's at very nice prices, $3-450 mint.
>
>Glenn
>
>Glenn Thrall
>gthrall@ix.netcom.com

Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair

Zen master to hotdog vendor: "Make me One with everything"