To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: The "R3" (was 90 mm., 2 and 3 lug)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 18:38:47 -0700

At 03:29 PM 7/20/96 -0700, you wrote:

>The R3 appears to be a viable alternative. Would an R6 confer
>significan advantages if both take the same lens systems?

The R6(.2) has ttl flash and fill flash. Handy in harsh light with chrome or
even negative film. It's also probably more rugged than the R3, and it's a
bit smaller, I think. It's also newer and will last longer. It's features
are such, I would choose the R6, except maybe in the situation you mention.
I would probably be glad to use an R3 in dangerous situations. You won't
find any advantage in use, except maybe a bit more precise in auto
exposures, because its shutter is electronic.

I would say own both, and risk the R3. Best of both worlds. If you can
afford the R6, you can probably afford the R3 and the R6 (especially a used
one.)

Have fun!

Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair

Zen master to hotdog vendor: "Make me One with everything"