To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #133
From: aiverson@ix.netcom.com (Al Iverson)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 20:18:31 -0700

Just a short note about why I use Leica versus other makes.

Lenses, lenses, lenses.

I shoot a bit of large format (4x5 and 8x10), but most is 35mm - with
an SLR - an R3 MOT (4 of them).

I used to use Nikon F3P (weather sealed, special construction) and
liked the wide variety of lenses.  Most pix were very good.  No solid
complaints about the quality of the images, but I was never sure I was
getting the ultimate sharpness, or did get a fair amount of flare.

Then I lucked out one day and bought an old, well-used R3. Shopped
around and found a couple of lenses.  Really liked the feel.  The
camera; it's a box for holding the film, no big deal - as long as it
doesn't break down on a shoot.

But, the lenses!  Even used, they were great! I've never seen such
consistently good, sharp, low flare, right on color images with the
other stuff.  I've now got a full boat of Leitz optics for use with the
R3 MOTs (I prefer the older series of lenses for sharpness).  And am as
content as could be.

Holding and using the Telyt 250/4 versus the Nikkor 300/4.5 Ed-IF is
quite an experience.  And the pictures are different.

I just wish the prices were more reasonable.  $2500 for a 24mm is a
little ridiculous!