To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: The "R3" (was 90 mm., 2 and 3 lug)
From: gthrall@ix.netcom.com (Glenn Wm. Thrall)
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 15:29:41 -0700

>On the R3: if you can get past the fact that the R3 is very close to
being a Minolta XE7, it's a fine camera--I used one for a long time.
It's reliable, and has spot and averaging metering with
aperture-preferred automation ....

>If you get an R3, it must have the third lug on the lenses.

The R3 then uses the "standard" modern three lug lenses? Is there a
substantial difference between the R3 and the newer R "mechanical" SLR
cameras?

It appears that for reasons known only to the gods, the "R" bodies sell
at a substantial discount. I travel to Central America and other places
not on the usual tourist routes. I would rather lose a less expensive
"R" than a more expensive "M." Both systems appear to do much the same
thing with Leica lenses, however only the gods of the marketplace can
say where prices for "R" and "M" cameras will settle this month in
Shutterbug!

The R3 appears to be a viable alternative. Would an R6 confer
significan advantages if both take the same lens systems?

Glenn

Glenn Thrall
gthrall@ix.netcom.com