To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: The Leica FortéSender : owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 08:26:36 -0700 (MST)

>Roger, Marc, et al:
>
>In fact, the comparison is even simpler...
>
>If you are bi-focaled and middle-aged, as I am... all you have to do is put
a Nikon F up
>to your eye...and then an R-6. BELIEVE ME, THERE IS NO COMPARISON!!!

Won't argue that focusing *should* be easier because of the brighter
viewfinder. Obviously, technology now allows the use of much better mirror
silvering techniques. But here I go again, today's Canon EOS1n finder is
equally bright compared to its technology peer the R series, IMO.

The fit and finish, however, on the *early* F (concession, in case there was
the quality degradation that Marc mentioned) was again IMO the equal of
today's R. It had the heft of more metal, obviously, but that silky advance
and shutter release was a hallmark.

Look, guys, heretic that I am, I'm shooting with M6 and R7 and loving it! I
do sense here, however, a lack of willingness to give the Japanese their
due. If they hadn't run with the SLR ball and done what they did with it,
the chances of us sitting here now and carressing our Rs would be remote.
Much as the Japanese invasion into our auto market  spurred the finesse and
quality improvement in our autos over the rattletraps that they were in the
70's.

Ok, now my shields are up...
     --
     Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                               Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum