To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica R6.2 vs. Nikon FE2
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 22:03:54 -0700

At 12:28 PM 7/25/96 -0600, you wrote:
>- For the lens wide open, the Nikkor gave me about the same definition in
>the center, but clearly better resolution in the borders than the
>Summicron.

I have no doubt that you got those results. The summicron is a rather old
design that goes back to the 70s. But that being said, resolution is NOT was
makes Leica lenses unique. It's an overall three dimensional "clarity" (I
hate that word in this context, but can't find a better one) shadow detail
and many other factors that make Leica lenses stand out. Your test was
valid, for what it was testing, but for lens performance, you need to do
more testing. Unfortunately, as you point out, that can be a very expensive
just conducting a test, since the mostly means you buy it.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair

Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.