To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: New kid on the block, etc...
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 08:32:26 -0700

At 09:34 PM 7/25/96 -0700, you wrote:

>Got one question though.  If I exchange the viewing screen
>for one of those Beattie type screens, will it make an
>effective improvement in the light level in the SLR
>viewfinder, and will it effect the light meter in any
>way??  I've had good success with the screen in the

Beattie screens are too expensive, and are no improvement over the R5/6/7
screens. You could pick up a Leica bright screen for less than $50 the last
time I bought one, when Beatties were twice as expensive. Some brightness is
good, too, too much will make focusing less accurate. The reason is,
contrast on the screen is reduced at too bright a level, and that is what
you use to focus.

The Leica screens were just the right level of brightness for me when
shooting in less than optimal light.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair

Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.