To: owner-leica-users <owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: RE: 21mm Dilemna
From: Thomas Pindelski <ThomasP@POSTOFFICE.nacm.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 96 12:28:00 PDT
Encoding: 39 TEXT

I'm not sure of the quality differences, but if you buy the Elmarit, I would
be interested in the Super Angulon!

ThomasP@nacm.com
 ----------
From: owner-leica-users
To: leica-users
Subject: 21mm Dilemna
Date: Thursday, August 01, 1996 1:33PM

After a long and fruitless search for an affordable 21mm M series lens I am
now, happily, confronted by a minor dilemna: I have the opportunity to
purchase either a Super angulon or a more recent Elmarit.
        The Super Angulon (#2783XXX) belongs to a photojournalist friend
and has seen a lot of use. It has more than the usual small (yet
insignificant) marks on the body but has more serious dings on the metal
flange around the rear element. All the glass is perfect and it has
recently been for a full CLA courtesy of Leica Canada where a ding related
bump on the mount was also smoothed away. It comes with hood, rear cap and
a chrome 21mm finder and the asking price is $725US.
        I have had it in my posession for a few weeks and am quite happy
with its performance and am attracted by the price as well as the fact that
it shares the same filter size as my 35mm Summilux.
        On the other hand, I have been offered an Elmarit (circa '86-'87)
listed as exc.++ condition at $1400 without finder but with hood and caps.
I do not have the opportunity to try the Elmarit before purchase and find
myself wondering whether it would be worth the extra $700 + finder.
        For obvious reasons, I am greatly attracted by the price on the
Super Angulon package but wonder if you would agree that the price is good
for a lens that ultimately would have to be classified as a "user" with
clean glass.
        Has anyone on this list had the chance to compare the two lenses
against each other or have any advice to offer?
        Any tips from Super Angulon owners?
Thanks in advance,
Jae