To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: MR4 meters
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 11:05:12 -0400

At 08:04 AM 8/2/96 -0600,Chris Forunko wrote:

>I very much doubt that active regulators are provided inside the MR4 meter.
>
>I don't have an SL, but have an SL2. This camera does not have any
>regulation. I would strongly advise you not to listen to store clerks and
>other "experts" who say that the new batteries, like the PX625A, will work
>in your camera.

Chis

Simply put, you're wrong.  The MR/MR-4 meters DO have such compensated
circuitry and so does the SL -- read the literature from Metrawatt and
Leica, which is hardly the blatherings of store clerks.  Virtually all
German photo gear has such circuitry, while Japanese gear does not.  (I
believe the Rollei 35 also lacks such circuitry, but I'd have to ask Bob
Salomon or Harry Fleenor to be certain;  in any event, Rollei recommends
re-calibration of even the late-production Classic.)

I shot for more than a year with PX76 batteries (1.5v silver oxide) in my
MR-4 and SL.  Both cameras functioned well within 1/6 stop.  I am currently
using a Kiev prism on my Hassie with four PX76's in place of the original
four 625's -- and it, too, is more than accurate enough for chrome work
despite the additional 4/5 volt.

My Canon F1, however, did NOT do well on silver-oxides:  the meter was all
over the board and was about 1 1/3 stop off, though this was not consistent
enough to be relied upon.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!