To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 1/2 frame camera???
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 96 12:02 PDT

At 11:49 PM 03/08/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Bill wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Did Leica ever make a "production model" half frame camera??
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bill Erfurth
>> Evergreen, CO  US
>

>Bill:
>
>If memory serves me correctly, there was a 72 exposure Leica (on 36 exp.
roll) that I
>remember seeing in some of the Leica literature in the 1950's and 1960's.
>
>In fact, is was listed in some of the Leica manuals of that era.
>
>Okay, you collectors---here's your chance to dig through your books, etc.
I've learned
>an awful lot about the Leica history in the past few months on this exchange.

----------
The Leica 72 was a IIIa body with a half-frame film gate and viewefinder
mask, but with the flash sync and film reminder of a IIIf.  These models
have "18x24" engraved on the top plate.  33 were made in Wetzlar between
1950 & 1963.  All others were made in Canada during 1954/1955.  Sorry, I do
not have total production figures.
----------

>And, now I've really found the  "plus" side...there is a wonderful
historical and
>technical excellence involved here as well.
>
>Thanks for the info...
>
>and thanks for the question...for that matter, Bill.
>
>Cordially,
>Jack Hamilton
>Milwaukee, Wis. USA

I agree, Jack!

I have used M3, CL, R3 and R5 cameras over the years, as well as Olympus,
Nikon and others.  Leicas are the best in my book, but I've been amazed how
much interesting "trivia" on Leicas (and even the odd Exakta) turns up here.
Though the list gets "off topic" a bit now and again, and a few get their
noses out of joint - over all, this is a facinating list to read!

Thank you all!

David Young: youngs@IslandNet.com