To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M6 Meter Calibration...
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 07:53:24 -0600

Wolfgang,

The point of my message is that what started as a simple battery test ended
up showing substantial differences, more than one stop, between the five meters.

As you well know, I work for NIST, which is the new name for what used to be
the National Bureau of Standards.

I am surprised that you do not fully appreciate what "Traceable to NBS"
means. This note is still found on many pieces of test equipment, even
though NIST has been in existence for more than seven years. (A discussion
of this problem does not belong on this forum.)

DIN, though, stands for Deutsche Invented Number. Just joking!

I don't agree with you calling the M6 just a consumer product. I really
think that its light meter system was designed by someone with great
insight. This is why I want to do more testing. This is because I am
curious, a healthy trait, I believe. When you were a kid, did you ever open
a watch or try to get inside a television set to see how it works?

Frankly, I am stunned by your comments.

Best regards,

Chris