To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Hologon conversions
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:30:46 -0400

At 08:21 AM 6/15/96 +0200, Gerard Captijn wrote:

>The basic Hologon design is older than you mentioned. The basic design goes
>back to the Topogon from the nineteen-twenties. Zeiss Jena developed the
>Topogon originally as a distorsion free super wide-angle for aerial
>photography. Graf Zeppelin and his passengers used the lens already!

Whoa, brother!  First, Graf Zeppelin died in 1917, so HE never saw a Topogon
or a Hologon or a production Leica, either, though his General Manager, Dr
Hugo Eckner, was an avid user -- and a recipient of a gift Leica from the
Leitz family.  The Zeppelin company always used Zeiss binoculars and the
Graf Zeppelin (LZ-127) did carry an ASPECTUM spotting scope in the control
car.  And the oldest aerial photograph which has survived was taken by Oskar
Barnack in 1914 on Viktoria Luise with one of the UR-Leicas.

I doubt if the Topogon and Hologon designs have much in common beyond
sharing a symmetrical design.  In any event, the Topogon was designed by Dr
Richter in 1933 (DP 636167, USP 2031792).  Carl Zeiss credits the offshoots
of the Topogon as being the Pleon (1941), Planigon (1942?), the B&L Metrogon
(1942 - USP 2325275), the Pleogon (1955), and the S-Pleogon (1968).  Zeiss
has never claimed, to my knowledge, a connexion between the Topogon and the
Hologon.  I suspect it is safer to regard the Hologon as an independent
development in its own right.  See, inter multa alia, Joachim Arnz' fine
article, "The Topogon Wide-Angle" in the Zeiss Historica Society Journal 12:2.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!