To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: New Rangefinder cameras
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 09:17:03 -0400

To be honest about it, I'm impressed by Minolta since I began using the CL
back in the 70s. I also use a Minolta XG from time to time and find the
resolution of its 50mm f2 lens equal to Nikon's best. Minolta pioneered AF in
reflexes and P&S.

I haven't used any of their later reflex models, but I assume there must be a
few that qualify as pro level. My mind is open on Minolta. I wouldn't
hesitate to buy a new manual RF camera produced by Minolta. I wish it were
here.

I'd expect it to have an innovative built-in meter second to none. A parallax
compensated viewfinder that would not be diminutive even with a preview 28mm
start off frame to 135mm. A wide base rangefinder that would leap into focus
clear as a bell. A line of lenses that would focus to 2' with an average of
f2. An all metal rugged body and hefty mount that would take any climate and
vibration. Film loading that would be all but automatic. Cleaning and
adjustment that wouldn't require the expensive disassembly of the entire
camera. Esposure info visible in the viewfinder a la the Nikon FM. I wouldn't
even mind if it could use Leica M lenses. Minolta could do it.

Bob R