To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: R7 special (was Re: Nikon M6)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 07:53:27 -0700

At 01:18 PM 8/15/96 -0400, you wrote:
>That "special" is likely the new price for the R7, which is not being
>discontinued when the R8 is released. The R8 will sell for about $3000. How
>does that compare to the F5 et al?

Where'd you get the R8 price? Interesting. That is not that far off from the
rumored F5 price. It's said to run about $2,500.

I also think it's interesting, as an aside, that the list price of the Zeiss
300 2.8 Tele Apo Tessar was dropped from $25,000 to $15,000 to "introduce
sanity into the pricing," said Blake Ziegler. Now that's a price cut! How
that relates to Leica? Maybe they can cut their prices some, but not that
much. I can only wonder what Zeiss's justification for pricing the lens so
high was, or what production changes it required. And how such a price shift
(paradigm shift?) it would take for Lecia to do the same.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB Chair