To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Projector Bulb Life...
From: JayPax@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 14:53:21 -0400

<< > From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
 > Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 22:19:32 PST
 > Subject: Re: Pradovit P-2002 projector
 <snip> ...

 > And also, don't run the fan after you turn it off. It's hard on the bulb.
 > Just turn it off completely. Found that based on research done by some
 > magazine. Fans without the light on shortens the bulb's life.

 	Hi LU's -

 	Sorry! "... some magazine ..." This sounds like rumor.
 	Or the people running the magazine should go back to
 	publishing. I can't believe that this is true!

 	The only way that could be true is if the fan is causing
 	excessive vibrations of the (unlit) filament. If this
 	projector causes that, it shows poor engineering. Lousy
 	design of the fan, its mounting, the mounting of the bulb
 	and fragility of the bulb itself.

 	If true, purchase of this projector should not even be
 	considered by someone who shoots with a Leica!

 	-- Wolfgang >>

Eric:

I agree with Wolfgang.

I can't believe that leaving the fan on to cool the buld after using the
projector is deliterious to the health of the bulb.

I would like to see some backup for this assertion.  It runs contrary to
everthing I have ever heard about projector bulb life and contrary to the
instructions that came with my Leitz Projector.

Jay Paxton

JayPax@aol.com

Replies: Reply from Fred Ward <fward@erols.com> (Re: Projector Bulb Life...)