To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Re: Tmax 400
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 07:22:02 PST

** Reply to note from oguillemain@agora.fdn.fr (Olivier Guillemain) 26 Aug 1996 08:22:44 GMT

> I've probably developed
> 100 rolls of Tmax 100 a year since it first came out. I've tried every
> developer I can find and I keep coming back to HC-100 dilution B. I get
> perfect results every time. I process at 70 degrees F and not at 68
> because that last 2 degrees is very hard to achieve here in warm sunny
> California.

What temperature do you use with T-Max developer? The film is optimized
for development at 75 degrees, not 68, which some think is some magical
number. It's not, it's just been the standard because many darkrooms are
that temperature. According to John Sexton, and Kodak, processing T-Max
film with T-Max developer at 75 degrees gives you optimum tonal
modulation and contrast (with that particular combination).

I have always found HC-110 dil. B gives me terrible results with T-Max
films, not to mention long development times. Haven't used it since
j-school. It blows grain up on Tri-X to a point that I'd only use it with
larger format film. But that's my opinion, and if there's anything true
about film/developer combinations is "youre mileage may vary" because we
all see things with our own eyes, not someone else's.

Regards,

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR