To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: FED5 Quality
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 13:12:00 -0700

C.M. Fortunko wrote:

> Marc,
>
> I am curious about FED5 quality. Is it worth considering if I can find one
> in Europe? I do not know anything about the camera. What kind of a
> viewfinder does it have? Are the speeds reliable?
>
> Anyway, FED stands for Feliks Dzierzynski, the founder of Cheka, the
> predecessor of KGB. I am surprised that this name is still in use!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Chris
>
> >At 10:30 AM 9/6/96 +0000, you wrote:
> >
> >>I bought last month a new FED 5 in Germany (Brenners Versand); I would never
> >>dare to questioning Marc's authority with all Leica matters, so I am just
> >>wondering what I bought.
> >>

> >You bought a FED 5.  The 'fake Leicas' are, for the most part, taken from
> >the FED II's which exited production in '58 or so.
> >
> >Marc
> >
> >msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
> >Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

I bought a Fed 5 several years ago.  I liked the comparatively large
RF/VF.   It had a very rough advance and a shutter which worked
erratically, even though cosmetically it is in mint condition.

I sent it to the local repairman not long after I got it.  He still has
it.  He works on it now and again when he has time.  He tells me that is
very frustrating to work on and poorly made inside--adjustments on it
seldom stay put long enough for him to reassemble the camera.   I hope
to have it repaired and working by the time my nine year old goes to
college.

Stephen Gandy