To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M3 and Wide Angle
From: dbereskin@bereskinparr.com (Dan Bereskin)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 07:55:15 -0400

>I have a Leica M3 that I use with a 50mm Summilux as the mainstay of my
>available light photography. I finally am ready to get a WA lens for this
>camera. I also rely heavily on the MR-4 light meter mounted on the camera.

Roger, many Leica fans think that the M3 rangefinder is the best
rangefinder ever made for the Leica, in that what you see is what you get,
essentially.  The advice you have been given is incorrect, it is possible
to modify the rangefinder, but it is not simple or inexpensive.  If you can
find one, you can put in a rangefinder for an M4: I did this once, and it
worked out fine, although it horrified my friends!  The conversion is not
cheap, and you may have trouble getting a decent price for your camera if
you do, but it certainly does work.  Try contacting Reinhold Mueller, ex
Leica Service Manager, 416/467-6992 (Toronto).