To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: 35 Summicron & Flare
From: jredfern@ftn.net (J. Redfern)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 18:25 EDT

>I've never experienced any flare problems with any 35mm Summicron design
>even shooting on open snow fields into the sun (which I do regularly), nor
>have I encountered this with the 1.4/35 Summilux I use now.  But many, many
>others have complained of this, and I understand that Leica had this
>specifically in mind when they whoomped up the ASPH Summilux.

I have to count myself amongst those that have found the 35mmF2 Summicron
(M latest) to be VERY prone to flare.  I must say that I was no less than a
tad disgusted by its performance in this regard as, for the price, I could
get two of another brand which would flare a lot less.
         My Summilux 35 is much worse, being virtually unusable in backlit
conditions and its place amongst my kit is becoming more precarious by the
day. (Anyone considering the purchase of a 35 Summilux must be in dire need
of a picture of ANY quality in low light conditions) In all other respects
my Summicron is a gem and I'm more than just a tad peeved to think that I
would have to shell out the ludicrous asking price of an aspherical example
to do away with something as basic as flare.
        In virtually all other respects Leica glass is superb and worth
every penny of the asking price but flare control would seem to be
something they never quite got a handle on with some lenses.
        Would anyone have any ideas why this would be so?
J.Redfern