To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: 35 Summicron comparisons
From: Charles E. Dunlap <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 11:52:49 -0700

I've recently purchased a new pair of binoculars (Leicas, as it turned
out), and the thing that struck me was the obvious variations from one
pair to the next of any particular brand and model. With binoculars the
subtle and not so subtle quality control problems are obvious. There is
no intermediate stage of image processing to add variables.

When comparing lens performance I think it would be wise to remember that
any particular example of one variety of Summicron might outperform any
particular example of another that varies within the tolerances that
Leica set at the time of manufacture. Leica sets narrow tolerances, and
we pay for the lenses that they reject, but that doesn't mean that every
lens is equal when scrutinized by an eye looking to make distinctions.

In short, take all comparisons with a grain of salt. The methods used
might be sound, but the items compared might be apples and oranges.

-Charlie

            Charles E. Dunlap
            Earth Sciences Dept.
            University of Calif.
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064

          cdunlap@earthsci.ucsc.edu
408-459-5228 (office)    408-459-3074 (FAX)