To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: numbers on Summicron focusing ring, again
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 21:24:09 -0400

At 04:51  13/09/96 -0400, you wrote:
>At 03:24 PM 9/13/96 -0400,Brian Levy wrote:
>
>>possibly only Contax of past years would have or could cared
>>enough about technical excellence to have also done it on their
>>rangefinder lenses (which they didn't).
>
>The actual focal length of Contax RF 50mm lenses is 52.5mm, though minor
>variations occured as they did and do with Leica.  Only the Russians have
>been honest on this:  several runs of their Zeiss clone Jupiter-8 and -3
>lenses have been marked as "53mm" and their books all so describe the lenses.
>
>Marc
>

>msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
>Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

What I was attempting to state was that Leica was the only company which
manufactured the lens, then tested it and inscribed the actual tested focal
length on it. The others cited, to my inderstanding did and do not
differentiate between stated (as marked) and actual (as tested) focal length
of each individual lens vs. lens model. More than several lens companies
have produces a lens (and maked it as such) in the 50 to 55mm range.
Hopefully this clears up what I was stating.
Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto, Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com