To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Information/opinion regarding Leica M5
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 11:07:01 -0400

At 04:51  14/09/96 -0700, you wrote:

>Please give me your opinion toward the Leica M5 cameras.
>I have not seen one for sale or talk about on the net.
>
>Are they dependable cameras?
>Are they collectible?
>What would be a going price for a mint minus condition?
>
>Thanks in advance for your time.
>
>-  Tim

A couple of months ago I was loaned one for a week to try. It was in
exchange for the borrowing of my CL (purportedly because of the avialable
lens conbinations). I was amazed at the feeling of quality. If given the M5
and the CL, I would have sworn the M5 was a lesser expensive Japanese built
unit and the CL Wetzler built. Prior to this time, I had thought about the
M5 because it has the same metering system as the CL, but I had never used
one. My Visoflex, also would not fit it because it is dimensionally larger
than the other M series cameras.  After dry shooting it several hours to get
the feel of it, it still did not feel comfortable to me. Ultimately, I put
it aside and never did use it. I did, however, go to my local Leica dealer
and looked (and felt) more closely at the M6 which felt better and more
solidly built. For the price difference between the 2 and the age of the M5,
I think for a user, I'd opt for the M6 if a built in meter is desired.

THe early M5s had a problem with the metering circuits and from my
understanding there was a silent recall. This means that whenever one was
serviced by Leica, the upgrade was done. I am not sure, but I think that the
problem was corrected by the time the 3 lug cameras were produced.

It seems that over the past couple of years, the M5 has gone from something
less desirable then the CL to collectors to a collectable. The pricing has
reflected this trend. For the current pricing, check SHUTTERBUG. There
usually are several for sale in each issue.

With the M5, there is a restriction on using some of the lenses, including
the collapsables and early wide angles because of the moving arm which holds
the meter cell.
Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto, Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com