To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Contax to Leica Adapters
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 09:12:32 -0700

I wrote:

> At 08:58 PM 9/19/96 -0700, Stephen Gandy wrote:
> >There are at least four versions of these adapters:
> >
> >1) one version, apparently made by Zeiss during W.W.II, was recently
> >discovered.
> >
> >2) a British version, shown in Mantanle's "Collecting and Using Classic
> >Cameras" is for Contax to Leica Screw.
> >
> >3) perhaps the finest engineered version was made by the Orien Camera
> >company before they became Miranda.  they made two versions, one for
> >Nikon RF lenses and one for Contax.  Both internal and external bayonet
> >lenses coupled.
>
> Marc Small wrote:
>
> First, the Zeiss adapter has not been "recently discovered":  this is a
> Prewar piece allowing use of Contax lenses on LTM enlargers.  It does not
> allow infinity focusing on a camera.  It was known at all times since its
> production in the middle 1930's.

	Not necessarily the same adapter Marc.  A collector friend of mine has
recently found the above adapter which he claims works on infinity.
This finish is relatively poor, and the mount came attached to a wartime
50 Sonnar.

> Second, Nikon messed up their theft of the Contax RF mount, and thus the two
> mounts are not identical, though quite similar.  When Nikon realized this,
> they had to start marking those lenses which WOULD work on Contax RF with a
> black 'C'.  An adapter using the outer-bayonet and lens-focusing may or may
> not provide infinity focusing for both Nikon and Contax lenses.

"Theft" is not the correct term.  German patents expired as part of
W.W.II reparations. Many firms copied the Leica Screw Mount with lenses
and cameras, but they are called Leica Copies, not Leica Thefts.  Nikon
chose to copy, er----try to copy, the Contax mount.  In 1946, working in
bombed out cities with suspect resources, they did not succeed in making
an accurate copy.   Working in the same circumstances, not many firms
could have.

Overall though, I don't see the point you  are trying to make with the
above paragraph.   Reference above was to both the Nikon and Contax
adapters in # 3 above.   Nikon and Contax RF lenses have the SAME back
focus.  The difference, and the problems, come from Nikon's bad copy of
the focusing helical.  The difference is so slight in the wide angles
that they Nikon and Contax lenses can be interchanged with good
results.  The Telephotos ie 85/105/135 were marked with a large "C" on
the side of the barrel if they were for Contax.    The interior bayonet
was only for the 50 mm lenses.  Both the wide angles and the telephotos
use the outer bayonet mount.   The problem with the mounting the
Nikon/Contax lenses on each others  bodies has nothing to do with the
infinity mount.  It has to do with focusing the lenses at other than
infinity due to the difference in the helicals.

> Third, the Japanese company is Orion, not "Orien".  Their adapter is the
> best to come from the Orient, but still isn't all that good.

I agree on the spelling Marc.  You win the spelling Bee.

I disagree on the Orion adapter.  I've owned both types of adapters.
The Orion worked more smoothly and was of a slightly better finish.
This is not to say at the Cook & Perkins was "bad," just that the Orion
was better.  It was strange, though to get used to seeing Nikon RF Mount
lenses mounted on my M4.    Have you ever used the Orion adapter?

> Fourth, the best of the adapters is the British Cooke & Perkins series,
> wonderfully over-engineered and over-built devices of impeccable quality.
> Collector interest has made these impossible to locate, at least in the US.

Cooke & Perkins has a great reputation and lots of admirers, but I do
not believe they made the best product in this case based upon my own
experience.

Stephen Gandy

Replies: Reply from Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net> (Re: Contax to Leica Adapters)