To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 3rd Party -rewinds & adapters
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 20:58:06 -0700

J. Redfern wrote:

>>         I wonder if the users of this list would be able to help compile
> something of a list of third party accessories either once or currently
> available for M series Leicas.

At least two third party rewind lever adapters have been made for the
knob rewinds of the M1/2/3-----I've seen them second hand.   One if
rather a rather crude, dull gray  aluminum casting, and the other is
finely machined chrome.  I do not know who made them however, but I am
sure they are relatively hard to come by.  There are probably more
versions I do not know about.

Perhaps the ultimate 3rd party accessory is the Nikon RF or Contax RF
coupled adapter.  These allow Nikon or Contax RF lenses to be mounted on
a Leica Screw mount camera WITH FULL RF COUPLING.  Put a Bayonet adapter
on the back, and of course they fit the M series.  There are at least
four versions of these adapters:

1) one version, apparently made by Zeiss during W.W.II, was recently
discovered.

2) a British version, shown in Mantanle's "Collecting and Using Classic
Cameras" is for Contax to Leica Screw.

3) perhaps the finest engineered version was made by the Orien Camera
company before they became Miranda.  they made two versions, one for
Nikon RF lenses and one for Contax.  Both internal and external bayonet
lenses coupled.

4) last year a very limited edition of new Japanese adapters were made
and I am told quickly sold out.

Occasionally you can turn up the Contax to Leica adapter WITH NO RF
COUPLING.  These are simple adapters and sold recently through NY
stores.  The others with complete RF coupling are little engineering
marvels.

By the way,  if anyone has one of these adapters out there, I am in the
market for a few.

Stephen Gandy

Replies: Reply from Fred Ward <fward@erols.com> (Re: 3rd Party -rewinds & adapters)