To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Contax to Leica Adapters
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 14:00:49 -0400

Several comments in regard to Stephen Gandy's most interesting post on this
topic:

First, I would appreciate more information on the adapter your friend
recently obtained.  I doubt that this is a Zeiss product, but would like
more information:  the gnomes of Jena ARE innovative, if not always practical!

Second, the Contax RF mount was patented in 1931;  the life of a German
patent was -- and I believe still is -- 20 years, so the patent did not
expire until 1951.  This patent did not "expire as part of ... reparations",
though the US and UK rights WERE forfeit, but NOT those in Japan (thus, the
Reid and Kardon cameras do NOT infringe on these  patents).  The Allied
military government in Japan refused to allow any German firm to sue the
Japanese optical firms over patent infringements, thus precluding Zeiss, and
the others, from enforcing their rights.   If MacArthur's boys had not
intervened, then both Nikon and Canon would have been severely constrained
by being barred from access to Zeiss and Leica research and development.

The Leica TM is precisely the same, and, yes, Canon stole that as well.
Theft is theft.  Like Nikon, though, they got the dimensions wrong, not
realizing that Barnack, for reasons now unfathomable, had used a pitch set
in inches.  See Dechert's Canon RF Cameras for an interesting discussion on
this topic.

I had stated that those adapters requiring LENS focusing might not work with
both Contax and Nikon RF lenses.  It depends on the linkage of the lens to
the rangefinder cam.  Some might work, others might not.  I've never tried
any of these adapters on a Nikon lens, so I cannot say which work and which
do not.  All that I have seen and tried DID work on Contax RF lenses.

I've used an Orion adapter and have seen three or four of them over the
years;  I've used and owned a couple of the C&P adapters, though have sold
them all since I now have the Zeiss Contax lens line (save for the rather
mediocre 8/28 Tessar) in LTM.  Your experience and mine simply don't match.
I found the Orion adapters I have seen marred by imprecise machining and
alignment, and have found the C&P well engineered and constructed.
Apparently, your experience doesn't match mine.

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!