To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M4-2
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 14:08:05 -0400

At 09:28 AM 9/20/96 -0700, Stephen Gandy wrote:

>Collectors generally agree that the M4 was the last well made Leica M
>with the Leica's traditional craftsmanship.   M4's in the same condition
>usually sell for more than M6's due to collector's interest.

Well, the Leica market is TERRIBLY volatile and prices boom all over the
board by the week.  The M4's climbed dramatically two years or so ago and
peaked;  they have been holding or even falling slightly throughout this
year.  Collector interest is now beginning on the M4-2 and M4-P cameras, and
I expect they will be the next to climb.  M6 user bodies -- readily
available two years ago for under $1300 --  have all but disappeared for the
time being.  A lot of this depends on foreign interest:  the Japanese have
been rather moribund of late due to their economic depression,  but the
European market is quite hot, and the Japanese are starting to come on again
like gang-busters.

If we Americans develop a world-class auction, which Tamarkin's conceivably
could become, then we might get to be major players again.

As to the relative qualities of the M4 and M6:  the M6 is every bit as well
made as the M4 but many of the adjustable parts have been replaced with "in
spec or replace" parts.  I've owned several M4's, and none would stay in
adjustment for any length of time.  My M6 -- which is a take-along camera
and which is constantly being carried, set down, knocked about, and so forth
-- hasn't had a bit of attention in two years, a refreshing change.  I opt
for the newer technique over the older.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!