To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: MR4 meters
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 09:50:24 -0600
Cc: msmall@roanoke.infi.net

Marc,

If the SL and MR meters do have compensation circuits, I will be a very
happy person. It would also mean that the meter in my M5 would be able to
operate on the silver batteries.

Right now, I have a bunch of mercury  cells in my refrigerator.

Rather than arguing, I will perform an experiment and report the results to
the group this weekend.

I plan to use my spot meter as the reference. I will also do a direct
substitution test.

I do not think you are correct, but I have been wrong before.

Best regards,

At 11:05 AM 8/2/96 -0400, you wrote:
>At 08:04 AM 8/2/96 -0600,Chris Forunko wrote:
>
>>I very much doubt that active regulators are provided inside the MR4 meter.
>>
>>I don't have an SL, but have an SL2. This camera does not have any
>>regulation. I would strongly advise you not to listen to store clerks and
>>other "experts" who say that the new batteries, like the PX625A, will work
>>in your camera.
>

>Chis
>
>Simply put, you're wrong.  The MR/MR-4 meters DO have such compensated
>circuitry and so does the SL -- read the literature from Metrawatt and
>Leica, which is hardly the blatherings of store clerks.  Virtually all
>German photo gear has such circuitry, while Japanese gear does not.  (I
>believe the Rollei 35 also lacks such circuitry, but I'd have to ask Bob
>Salomon or Harry Fleenor to be certain;  in any event, Rollei recommends
>re-calibration of even the late-production Classic.)
>
>I shot for more than a year with PX76 batteries (1.5v silver oxide) in my
>MR-4 and SL.  Both cameras functioned well within 1/6 stop.  I am currently
>using a Kiev prism on my Hassie with four PX76's in place of the original
>four 625's -- and it, too, is more than accurate enough for chrome work
>despite the additional 4/5 volt.
>
>My Canon F1, however, did NOT do well on silver-oxides:  the meter was all
>over the board and was about 1 1/3 stop off, though this was not consistent
>enough to be relied upon.
>
>Marc
>
>msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
>Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

C.M. Fortunko, Ph.D.
Group Leader, Materials Characterization (853.05)
Materials Science and Engineering Laboratory
325 Broadway
Boulder, CO 80303

Voice phone:(303)497-3062      FAX:(303)497-5030